Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Traditions.

Every year before Thankgiving I go to my Mamma's house to help her bake pies. And I'm not talking just a couple, we bake about 30 pies total. Maybe more.

When I was younger it was something I would count down the days til. When I was a teen I would go there wondering how much of my day would be wasted covered in flour. As an adult it has come full circle, I can't wait to get baking.

This year, my Mamma informed me, would be the last. It takes so much effort and many don't appreciate the hours spent or the love put into it. I'm so sad to have to let go of a tradition that has been happening my whole life.

I have to remind myself that everything changes. And it doesn't have to be a bad thing. We'll just have to replace the old tradition with a new one. So in honor of our last pie baking year I would like to share a pie recipe.

Pumpkin Pie




Ingredients:

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese room temp.
2 cups canned pumpkin (mashed)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 egg plus 2 yokes beaten
1/2 stick melted butter (1/4 cup)
1 cup half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

and a premade dough. I prefer to make my own but that recipe is a family secret.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Place one piece of premade pie dough into a 9 in. pie pan.
Put plate into the freezer for one hour to firm up.
Bake the crust for 10-15 mintutes. (until it just starts to color)

For the filling, in a large bowl beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer.
Add the pumpkin and beat until well mixed.
Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined.
Add the vanilla and cinnamon until combined.

Add the filling to your warm pie crust and bake for 50 minutes.
Or until the center is firm.
Cool on a wire rack.

Topped with whipped cream or ice cream this is a great pie.


Have a great Thanksgiving!
~Jazi



No comments: